Friday, September 17, 2004

homesick for floating

I was reading this article on Wired about commercial zero gravity flights and the author talks about the experience of floating feeling so natural and at the same time so much like a dream. I've always wanted to be able to fly. I can remember as a Kindergartener spending my afternoons running down the slight slope in our front yard, leaping into the air and flapping my arms like crazy. I flew. It didn't last as long as I'd like, but I flew and all the cut and paste and stories of mornings at school just couldn't compare with it. In the article the author quotes Buzz Aldrin as saying that he Scuba dives a lot because he found he got "homeseick for floating". I can relate.

2 comments:

S. said...

Greetings Loon! Floating DOES feel like a dream, especially since it only happens to me in my dreams. And I often have that dream of flying over rooftops in moonlight. The best part is that it's so real. Until I wake up of course...

kelly ens said...

hi loon - been a while :) when i read this entry about flying and stef's comment, i was ready to jump in! for many years of my life, i could fly in my dreams. and if i was in a situation i didn't like, i'd just start flapping my arms, and up i'd go. it wasn't really flying - more like floating. but i never used the stairs. anyway, your blog reminded me of those dreams. they were awesome.