Saturday, October 23, 2004

vision and fingerprints

What would the world look like if I truly saw God in everything? A line from my all time favourite hymn asks "Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart." I wonder what it would be like if even just for a day I could see my life the way God sees it. If everywhere I turned all I could see was Him, His fingerprints all over every moment of my day? Wouldn't it be interesting if I could see God's fingerprints on the box of cereal in the morning and think "God put that cereal in my cupboard". I think it would be harder to look at the bruised places in my life and see His fingerprints there. Although I don't doubt that they are. Not the fingerprints of the hand that inflicted pain, but prints of the hands that comforted, that protected, that kept me from dangers I'm not even aware of.

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart.


I wish I could wear God's perspective like Virtual Reality glasses, only in this case they would be True Reality glasses, Hyper-Reality glasses. If I could see what He sees, I wonder if my perspective couldd even handle it. If the shock of the state the world is really in would be too much and I would shatter. Maybe it would be like Moses on the mountian when God told him not to try and look in His face because he wouldn't be able to live through the experience.
"You can't handle the truth."

There is a grace and beauty to our limitations. Maybe for now I just need to learn how to see that.

No comments: