Thursday, June 23, 2005

the world gets a little cooler

Whoo hoo! As of today I have speakers (thanks A!). Of course like any good techie I figured I better take them for a test run, so I headed over to Homestar Runner for some good times (I mean serious testing) with StrongBad and the Teen Girl Squad. I was not disappointed.

After initial testing was complete I headed back over to Odeo to see what this site really had in store. I have to say, I'm impressed. My knowledge of podcasting up to now was purely theoretical. (And in all honestly, largely informed by a single article in Wired -- which I can't link to tonight as their site is not responding.) Within about a minute on Odeo I was listening to my very first podcast. I easily navigated the various casts available and soon stumbled upon the "coming soon" section where the Odeo Studio will let paid subscribers create and upload podcasts. Very cool.

In a perfect example of the itty bitty world in which we live, I randomly selected a cast to listen to -- one on how to chop an onion without crying -- and the people behind it are from Vancouver. Apparently podcasters are already getting together in groups and one of these groups meets in our fair city. Too funny.

For now they are not allowing people to pass Odeo invites out, but if that changes, I'll let you know. Do I see myself becoming a serious podcaster? Well on the one hand it would let speak without having to get up in front of people, but in all honesty, I don't feel an addiction coming on any time soon. Still, it's nice to be asked.

No comments: