Saturday, July 15, 2006

ferrying around BC

Mom and Dad have been here visiting this week and we've had a great time. As I was deciding what I wanted to show them this trip we ended-up spending a lot of time on ferries. And thoroughly enjoying ourselves. On Tuesday we took the Grandville Island ferry back and forth across False Creek. We grabbed a great lunch at Grandville Island market and then rode the waves all the way up the creek to Science World. (And in the process discovered where they stash the Symphony of Fire, I mean 'Celebration of Light' barge between seasons.) We headed over to English Bay to see the Inukshuk and ended-up back at the maritime museum. A great day on the water for just $12. Nice.

Thursday we went from the itty-bitty Grandville Island ferry to the Granddaddy of them all -- the Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay ferry. Even bigger than the ferry to Manatoulin Island that I remember from when I was little. (Although they call that ferry the Big Canoe which is much more fun.) The big ferry took us over to Victoria where we learned a new word -- muckle -- had an amazing high tea at the White Heather (highly recommended), toured Craigdorrach Castle and went for a walk along the water.

Today, Saturday, we headed in the opposite direction and took a mid-size ferry to Bowen Island. You have to love a place that calls its main harbour Snug Cove. (Altogether now. . . . . .awwwwww) We had perfect, amazing, beautiful weather. Bowen Island is classic west coast picture postcard -- blue water, big sky, blue mountains and lots and lots of green.

G-o-r-g-e-o-u-s.

I can usually go a long time between dreams of owning a boat but today. . . .today it would have been really nice to be able to get out on that water. Ferries are a great start, but it's not quite the same.

I really feel like I've stepped out of my regular life this week and had a vacation. I didn't do things that probably needed to get done, I didn't think about work. I even managed not to check my email even though decisions are being made that had I been in the office this week I would have been part of. For me the mental rest is as important and as physically being away and I think I really achieved that this week. How incredible to be able to spend these days with people that I love laughing and talking and looking at incredible beautiful sea and sky. A true vacation indeed. And I have the photos to prove it.

3 comments:

S. said...

Wow! You and your mom are practically twins! And the blue shirts don't help :) Great pictures.

DAve and JAnie said...

You sure do know how to enjoy your time off work! I wish i would have snuck into the trunk of the car and ferryed around BC with you. I love so many of those place you took your parents, and some of them i have never visited. I am really looking forward to seeing you and your home in fall. Our house is going to be a very boring stop for your parents in comparison to the adventures they have just had with you! I am going to go stare at the beautiful photos of bc you took and lovingly posted for all to see.
Yes, i do have to say that you and mom share some beautiful features. I think Corrina looks like dave in many ways, which means i think she will resemble you and mary, which is wonderful because you are both very beautiful women with sparkling faces!

I keep trying to post things to flickr, but for some reason i can't get the uploader to connect. Any thoughts? I have try re downloading and reinstalling it, with no luck.

I hope you find lots of inspiration from your desk at work today (it is always so hard to get back into the swing of things).
Love Janie

DAve and JAnie said...

oh yeah, pretty necklaces!