Tuesday, May 22, 2007

a view to the east

I can't believe it's been a week already since I got back from Ontario. Where did the time go? Contrary to what you might be thinking after my last post, I didn't spend the entire week gazing at my niece so I thought I should post a few pics of the other things that happened.

One of the first things that hit me, other than how incredibly FLAT it is there is how amazingly blue the sky is. I didn't realize how long it had been grey and wet in Vancouver. In Ontario the sun shines, all day and for more than one day at a time. Impressive.

On Monday we went to the library and I was thrilled to discover that the Children's Library still smells the way I remember it -- like old books and new dreams. The place was packed for Monday Morning Story Time. I can't wait until Corrina is able to listen in to that. There was a play area for the younger kids and she just dove right in. She has her mother's courage.

On Tuesday it was warm enough to hit the beach. Sarnia is right on the shores of Lake Huron. I guess I had forgotten that this area is known as Bluewater Country. When I exclaimed, "Wow, the water is really blue" my Mom had a good chuckle before reminding me of the moniker. I was getting pretty warm out on the sand and thought to myself "wow I really have become a west coast wuss, this feels really hot." It wasn't until much later that I heard on the radio that it got up to 85 that day. Not a wuss after all.

Wednesday I spent the day with Shauna, one of my oldest friends. We met in Grade Three, a happy co-incidence of alphabetical seating and matching pencil boxes. Good times. No pics unfortunately. Freya joined us for lunch with her little girl, Zoe. I hadn't seen Freya in years. Her little girl is beautiful.

Thursday saw us heading back to Toronto Sick Kids' to have Corrie's stitches taken out. I was not prepared for what would be like to be there. We walked into this amazing atrium and first you get distracted by both the size and the cartoons and paintings that are everywhere. It takes a moment for your eyes to see all the kids and another moment to realize that every one of them is sick. There were kids in wheelchairs, kids with IVs, cancer kids with head scarves, and everywhere worried looking parents with tiny children wrapped-up in their arms. It was awful.

We were only in the hospital for two hours, and there was only a minute or two, right when the stitches came out that made Corrie scream. I tried not to imagine what it would be like to be there for weeks, for months, while procedure after screaming procedure was done to your child. They have done everything possible to make the hospital as kid-friendly as can be, but there's still nothing that takes the bite out of a needle or smooths the brow of waiting parents. My heart goes out to each and every parent who has walked that road. I don't know how it's done.
Back at home there was wheat waving in the field. The panoramic sunsets are still there -- the only good that comes from not having mountains on the horizon. There were storms too, real Ontario storms with thunder and lightening. It's been a long, long time since I last heard that. In between it all was a lot of great conversation and fun with family. I was thisclose to finally beating my little brother in a game of Carcasonne. Darn farmer. I keep trying to remember to play farmers but my guy always get blocked right away.

Dave brought his Wii so I finally got a chance to try that out. I cannot remember the last time I had that much fun playing video games! For everyone who ever had a little sister who insisted on moving the controls around while playing Sega, our system has finally arrived. I used to drive both my brothers crazy wilding swinging the controls around. Now I can drive them crazy (well Dave at least) mastering the power serve on Wii Tennis. I swear I'm not entirely sure how I do it. But if I did know, would I tell? Hard to say. Once a middle child....always a middle child.

All in all, it was a great trip. In words of kids everywhere, AGAIN!!!

1 comment:

Mom Colvin said...

I agree "AGAIN". Didn't we have fun. And wasn't Wii fun too.

Love, Mom XX