Sunday, November 02, 2008

holding a life in my hands

It may be a little hard to see in this photo, but I'm holding a life in my hands. I can imagine what you're thinking, "looks like a hat to me" and you'd be right, partially. But in many countries around the world this little hat is the difference between life and death. According to the WHO, over 4 million babies die each year from completely preventable causes. One the easiest ways to save them is simply to keep them warm and that's where the hat comes in.

Of course this little hat needs a little help, and that's where Save the Children comes in. Each year their Knit One, Save One campaign organizes volunteers around the world to knit or crochet little hats. These hats are then included in kits put together by STC and taken over seas where they save lives (and look pretty cute doing it).

If you know how to knit or crochet and have a little time, you can hold life in your hands too. All of the information is in the action kit. All you have to do is make a hat and mail it to STC in Brooklyn by December 31. If you're looking for a simple pattern, here's the one I used courtesy of Beverly Qualheim. It only uses two stitches so even if your skills are a little rusty, you should be fine.

The problems of poverty and disease and needless suffering often seem overwhelming, but at least this one time the answers are very easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I don't know if I have time to make one this year but I'm bookmarking that page for later.

Way to go for DOING SOMETHING about the problem. Every one helps one child have a better chance at life.

With admiration, love

Mom & Dad XX